|recipe and photo by cleaneatingmag.com|
Greek Salad with Whole Wheat Pita
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pitas
- 1 English cucumber, unpeeled and chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 15-oz can low-sodium chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 oz low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Paprika for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut each pita into 4 strips and cut each strip into 1-inch triangles, splitting apart the 2 “sides” of the pita as you cut. Spread on a baking sheet and toast in oven until pita is crispy, about 10 minutes, tossing once.
- In a large bowl, combine cucumber, tomatoes, onion, chickpeas and parsley. Add oil, lemon juice and pepper; toss well. Add feta and toasted pita and toss again. Garnish with a dash of paprika and serve immediately.