Monday, September 26, 2011

Clean Eating Day 1 of 5

photo by floater yaya on flickr


Good Monday Morning to you all! I woke up this morning with a mission in mind: to do 'clean eating' for the next five days. I just feel this ole' bag 'o' bones needs a good kick-start (I can call myself that now since I'm leaving the thirty-somethings on Friday). Looking forward to living life with a finely tuned engine this week!

Yes, this ole' gal is going to need some extra help in keeping up with the young ones on the trails. Even my bike is feeling its age and I've started to shop around for another one. So change for the better is in the air.

And it starts in my kitchen. I invite you to join me on this mission.

photo by cleaneatingmag.com


Meal #1: Ricotta and Spinach Frittata    

8 egg whites
1 large egg
1/3 cup skim milk
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic; minced
1 white onion, thinly sliced
4 cups baby spinach
1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
pinch of nutmeg
2/3 cup low-fat ricotta cheese


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg whites, large egg and skim milk until frothy.

Heat oil in cast iron skillet (or other ovenproof frying pan) on medium heat. Add garlic and onion. Saute for a couple minutes until softened. Add spinach to pan and cook, stirring frequently until wilted. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Pour egg mixture into pan and drop ricotta by the tablespoonful over top. Cook three minutes until eggs begin to set on the bottom. Transfer pan to oven and bake for 8 minutes or until eggs are firm. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.

Serve with sliced tomatoes on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More to Chew On...

Along For the Ride

Search This Blog