Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ken's Brownies


These. Are. Incredible.


I was at a party a couple weekends ago and had a blast at this backyard bash. I was mixing and mingling while the kiddies ran around and played under the stars as the night took us into one of the last warm evenings of the season.

Across the crowded room (well, actually the deck), I saw a platter of brownies sitting innocently on a picnic table. You all know my brownie weakness by now. You know I'm going over there.
I wandered over to said table and had a sampling.

Let me just say that these brownies surpassed all others. Scrap whatever recipes I have posted in the past. These are the most decadent little bars I have had yet. After wolfing down four in a row and wading through the gaggle of kids swarming the brownie tray, I fixated myself on making my way over to the person responsible for this creation. I still don't know whether to love or hate him since I really don't need another food addiction to add to the list. You know what? I didn't even need to plead with him or his wife in order for them to share the recipe. Nice people!

So, Ken, I thank you and curse you all in the same blog. Ursula, thanks for posting your husband's genius creation.

And since today is my birthday, I have whipped up a double batch of these babies. Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me! I get to eat these brownies guilt-free!

Ken's Decadent Brownies

1 cup butter, cubed
6oz. unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped (Ken used Swiss Lindt dark chocolate)
2cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 pkg. Skor toffee bits
1 cup semi-sweet choc. chips


1) Preheat oven to 350 F. Line bottom of sides of a 13 X 9 inch baking pan with foil, overhang.

2) Combine butter and chocolate in saucepan. Place over medium heat and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir in sugar and then eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt to make smooth batter.

3) Spread evenly in pan. Bake on middle rack in oven for 18 min. or until top is almonst set. Sprinkle Skor bits over top and return to oven. Bake 8-10mn more or until toothpick inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Place pan on a rack; sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let stand for 5 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Spread evenly. Let cool until chocolate is set.

7 comments:

  1. Better than the Caramilk Brownies? Really? If so, I can't wait to make them, actually I'm going to make them tonight, in honour of your birthday! Happy Birthday!
    (and thx for the excuse to make them!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been warned. They are awesome! Have fun in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mufh huyt fuhr awehu, oh sorry, I'm talking with my mouth full, these are fricken awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg, so going to try this baking thing. this sounds amazing! happy birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These brownies really, REALLY were the best I've ever had too! YUMMY! Happy Birthday, Tracy! Hope you had a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend of mine made these brownies and hand delivered a piece to my house to prove how amazing they are. I think I went a little weak at the knees:) However, I was curious if anyone has tried freezing these. I would really like to bake some and put them away for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Putting them in the freezer for Christmas, I'm sure, would be a great idea! Let me know how they survive the deep freeze :)

    ReplyDelete

More to Chew On...

Along For the Ride

Search This Blog