Saturday, September 18, 2010

Surviving Dinner Time


photo by Rumor Magazine

Did anyone else catch the premiere of this season's Survivor? It's really the only show I dedicate time to watch. My kids and I tuck ourselves into my big bed and settle in to pick our favourites.

This is the first year we're divided. My kids are cheering for the Young team (twenty-somethings who seem full-figured and empty-headed) while I root for my peers on the Over Forty Side. Go, old people, go! I already admire them for the strength they've shown by being able to leave their families behind for 38 days; something I would find the most taxing if I were ever to compete in Survivor (do they accept Canadians? I don't think they do...).

Even though the old folks lost the first challenge, I am still confident that brains will win over brawn. They show a fortitude that comes with their maturity. I'd love to see those young people pack school lunches, juggle a family's schedule and break up offspring's fighting and arguing -- all the while having no sleep due to the baby that was up all night. Survive that, twenty-somethings! Over 40s know real sacrifice!

And considering we've now survived the first two weeks back to school and our calenders are dotted with more red ink than those twenty-somethings' first term papers, I feel we all deserve an easy dinner that rewards us with the gift of time. So here's a quickie that will help you all survive next week.


photo by Just Eat Food

Green Bean and Chicken Casserole

1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup milk
2 cups seasoned stuffing crumbs (like Stove Top)
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1" strips
2 cups frozen, cut green beans

Heat oven t o 350. Lightly spray glass casserole dish with cooking oil.

In small bowl, mix soup and milk until blended. In another bowl, prepare stuffing mix by mixing bread crumbs with seasoning packet. Mix in butter. In baking dish, layer chicken, green beans, soup mixture and top with stuffing mixture.

Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes until hot and bubbly and chicken is no longer pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More to Chew On...

Along For the Ride

Search This Blog