Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Apple Pie Winner

So...my friend, Tammy, needed to kick some serious ass in a Hockey Mom Apple Pie Competition. I personally hadn't tried this one out myself, but my Grandma had passed it on to me. Someone from her home town had won a $25,000 prize with this recipe. So I gladly passed it on to help Tammy gain serious bragging rights that, I'm sure, will last all winter long. Here is her story:

photo by Tammy


Well Chef-boyar-Green, you did it again!

I've been making apples pies for years and when asked to join an apple pie competition between the hockey Moms last weekend, I got a little nervous but agreed.  Now, my sour cream crusts are to die for, but I knew the apple mixture needed 'something' to kick butt.  


Who do I always turn to but the greatest Chef/Mom in the world for her advice and fantastic recipes!  This pie was a hit!  I was the hands down winner.  I was the envy of all the Moms. After the Dads were licking their plates, this created a bit of curiosity from the Moms. After they tried the pie themselves, they were soon conspiring to disqualify me for all sorts of reasons (all in good fun of course) like using caramels was cheating or I didn't tell anyone I was using cream cheese.....it was so much fun.

Now, I know by the looks of the pictures, I have to work on my lattice crust but it was made before a very early game and kept warm for the parents to try while at its best!

Thanks again Tracey!



$25,000 Apple Pie Winner


Filling: 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 2 tsp. lemon rind, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 6 apples. Combine in saucepan and cook until thick.

Topping:
8 oz. cream cheese, 1 egg, 1/3 cup sugar. Whip together until smooth.

Caramel Sauce:
1/2 lb. caramels, 1/2 cup evaporated milk. Melt caramels with milk in double boiler. Keep on low heat to stay warm.

Line 15x10 rectangle with pie pastry on a piece of foil. Place apple filling on pastry. Drizzle with caramel sauce in wide strips over apples (thin with milk if necessary). Spread with cheese mixture between strips. Sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts and bake 375 degrees for 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More to Chew On...

Along For the Ride

Search This Blog