Thursday, July 15, 2010

Snack Night


photo by lessignets.com

Every week, my family and I invest ourselves in front of a good movie (usually an oldie that Jeremy and I can supplant ourselves in; an attempt to revisit youth via Ferris Bueller or Marty McFly).

These cozy nights consist of blankets, fizzy drinks and evil snacks. But this week, I have presented my kids with a challenge. Whoever can whip up the healthiest and tastiest snack will win a prize. Not sure what that prize will be yet (a week with no chores?? Later bedtime?? Ideas are welcome!).

So this Friday night, after I am sent to the grocery store with the kids' ingredients lists in hand, my husband and I are guinea pigs to what they'll be serving up. I will post the winner next week.

For now, here is one of my favourite snacks. I hope it finds your family snuggled up in front of your own homemade movie night; blankets and all. It may not be the winner of the healthy contest, but it's darn good.

photo by sunflower catering on flickr

Sun-Dried Tomato Spread

2 packages light cream cheese; softened
2 cups light Hellmann's Mayo
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp. minced garlic (from jar)
1 jar oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes; drained and chopped
2/3 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 old cheddar cheese
1 cup grated parmesan cheese; divided

In large bowl, combine cream cheese, mayo, onion and garlic until mixed. Stir in tomatoes and peppers. Add the mozzarella and cheddar cheeses and 3/4 cup parmesan.

Transfer to greased 9" x 13" baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Bake uncovered at 350 for 20 minutes or until edges are bubbly and browned. Serve with crackers and blue tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More to Chew On...

Along For the Ride

Search This Blog