Monday, April 12, 2010

Empire State of Mind



Wow - just got back from New York with my hubby and what a place! There is more to my life than food (in case you all didn't realize that), but I haven't had lunch yet and my stomach is revisiting all the wonderful things it experienced during the last five days.

You see these cute little crabcakes? 5th avenue, baby. Dee-lish! Eaten alongside a beet and chick pea salad with a ginger vinaigrette. Must google that one!

These nachos were awesome. I say, the more you can pile on, the better. These were dripping with smoked barbecue beef and my husband was kind enough to share. He didn't even wince when I took the ones loaded with the most stuff. Now that is true love. Either that, or he was distracted by BB King's nightly entertainment. Either way, I scored!




Okay, see this dish served up in Little Italy? I ordered Lobster Ravioli. Do you notice the garnish they used? A whole lobster!! Plus butterflied shrimp hanging out on the side. Those Italians know a thing or two about ignoring waistlines. But I didn't complain...



I'm going to leave you guys with my friend's recipe. She served this up for us at the cottage using pork, but I think this would be PERFECT to simulate the nacho experience I had in Times Square. Just cook on a slow simmer and serve on top of nachos along with your other favourites (jalapenos, sour cream, cheese, guacamole...).

And since my fridge bares none of these wonderful memories...only a sad jar of strawberry jam that will accompany the peanut butter sandwich I'm about to have, my thoughts remain in New York. At least until I get to the grocery store.

Karen Kelly's Pulled Pork (but I'm changing it to beef!)

1 pork butt or Beef Roast

Dry Rub
4 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. ground cumin
2 tbsp. dark brown sugar
2 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. white pepper
1 tbsp. black pepper
1-2 tsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)
And I'm thinking just a drop or two of liquid smoke to get the BBQ Flavour.

Mix ingredients together in a bowl (except for the roast, silly).
Rub mixture over meat and let sit for 3 hours. Place in slow cooker set to low for 6-7 hours.

Once roast is tender, pull the meat apart; shredding it in pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More to Chew On...

Along For the Ride

Search This Blog