Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Crostini with Brie, Dates and Walnuts



I just spent the best weekend with family up at the cottage. It was fantastic to catch up with everyone, especially those who traveled from Manitoba and Toronto (hello Dianne, Steve, Hannah and Sandy!).

I was on appetizer duty so I chose to whip up these tasty little morsels. Sandy was after me for the recipe so I wanted to post right away. They're tasty!



Crostini with Brie, Dates and Toasted Walnuts

1 medium baguette, sliced (I used whole grain)
2 tbsp olive oil
Sea salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts (I didn't bother to toast the walnuts)
1/2 cup chopped dates (I've served them whole and they're just as good)
1 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
6 oz. brie, white rind removed



I usually prepare the topping the day ahead. So mix walnuts, chopped dates, honey, vinegar and 1 teaspoon sea salt together into a ziploc bag. Set aside.


To prepare the day of, dab both sides of bread slices with olive oil and sprinkle top side with sea salt. Toast in oven on cookie sheet.



Once your bread is toasted, top each slice with a piece of brie. Then top the brie with the walnut mixture. To warm your appetizer and melt the brie before serving, place tray back in oven with the temperature turned off. Once the cheese is melted slightly, serve 'em up!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

More to Chew On...

Along For the Ride

Search This Blog