Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mosaic Table



Now that spring is here, I am eagerly waiting to get out in the yard and do some yard clean-up. I even dared to put the snow and ski boots away. I know I'm a little early on the draw, but what the heck. I'm done with winter, so I've decided to start living in spring mode despite what Mother Nature still insists on throwing our way.

Last summer, I shopped around for a garden dining table and I quickly discovered it is near impossible to buy one that does not come with chairs. I have twelve chairs from previous sets and I refuse to add more to our garage. My husband would kill me.

After a season of an unsuccessful table search (antique stores, garage sales, patio stores), our family decided to tackle a crafty project and make our own outdoor table. Even though I am not one for massive craft-type projects, I was excited about this idea.

So we are mounting a wooden board on top of an old kitchen table and creating a mosaic masterpiece. We purchased some stained glass in bulk and have enjoyed this March Break in getting it done.

The kids pitched in and designed some pretty cool illustrations. Samantha did a rose, Zac did a star and turtle, Adam did a skateboard and spelled his name. If you look close, you'll see a mountain bike on a forest trail and Jeremy added a guitar.

Now that all the tiles are down, we will begin sealing and grouting. I think it'll look pretty cool when it's all said and done. I can already picture the glass pieces glimmering in the sunshine.

Here's what we have so far:

Can you spot the mountain bike on the trail?
I spy Zac's peace sign and Jer's guitar (upside down)

View of Entire Table

Sam's rose (upside down), tree and sun

Zac's turtle and star, Adam's skateboard (upside down)

Now we're really looking forward to dining under a bright blue summer sky! I really hope it turns out. I'll snap a pic once it's grouted and mounted. By the way, we saved quite a bit of cash with this idea too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

More to Chew On...

Along For the Ride

Search This Blog