Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Karen Kelly's Chicken Pot Pie

So my friend, Karen, says she makes the BEST Chicken Pot Pie. I wasn't too quick to agree since, ahem, I believe it is I who make the best chicken pot pie. So I asked her to send me the recipe and I went to work in my kitchen, ready to call her bluff.
Well, not only is her recipe AWESOME but also easier to create. Good job, Karen! I'll never doubt you again! Well, I probably will but if it means getting more great recipes from you then so be it!

Karen's BEST Chicken Pot Pie

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
cut in chunks
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup diced onion
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 9" unbaked pie shells

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.

In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and celery seed. Gradually add in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.

Place the chicken mixture in bottom of pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over it. Cover with another pie crust and seal the edges. Cut away any excess pastry. Make small slits in the top to allow steam to escape while baking.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

food photography courtesy of murphelz on flickr

1 comment:

  1. Dear me oh my Karen!!! This is going to be tried this very weekend. Seems I've come to depend on fresh ideas from this blog for my kitchen. Thank goodness!~~~
    Tracey, glad you gave her a fair shot. You did us ALL a favour! lol

    ReplyDelete

More to Chew On...

Along For the Ride

Search This Blog