Thursday, December 3, 2009

Four Layer Square (aka Sex in a Pan)


photo courtesy of reinvented on flickr

When we spent part of our summer vacations at my grandmother's house, she prided herself in fattening us up during our stay (always fretting we were too thin). She would weigh us on the first and last day, nodding in approval when that scale marked her success with this endeavor.

This recipe was one of my Grandpa's favourites. My Grandma could never refer to this by its real name (Sex in a Pan) so she renamed it 'Four Layer Square'. But once you taste it, you'll know the reasoning behind the original label - sooo good! It was hard to turn this down once we entered adulthood. Her freezer always had a tray of this delectable dessert waiting for us and it was a true test of willpower to turn it down. That, and those late-night milkshakes...

Four Layer Square (aka Sex in a Pan)

1st layer:
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
3 Tbsp. sugar

Blend and press into a 9" x 13" pan. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes then cool.

2nd Layer:

Whip together:
8 oz. cream cheese
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 Tbsp. large size Cool Whip

Spread over cooled base.

3rd Layer:

Mix 2 cups cold milk with 2 small packages instant chocolate pudding. Pour over 2nd layer. Put in fridge until set.

4th Layer:

Spread remaining cool whip over chocolate layer. Sprinkle with crushed nuts if desired. Refrigerate.

Keep in freezer if desired and take out as needed; letting it thaw just a bit before serving.

4 comments:

  1. Oohhhhh I love these! Perhaps I should make some of these today. I'm actually just writing out my shopping list! I could use some good sex (in a pan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the mood to make it but I seriously have to take a break from eating all this baking!! So save me a piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This rates as a close second to my favourite dessert on the planet (apple pie and vanilla ice cream). Yummers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loooovvvve Sex (in a PAn) LOL This is certainly a fav around here too Trace - I think I will make this for the Baker Xmas gathering...
    ~hugs~

    ReplyDelete

More to Chew On...

Along For the Ride

Search This Blog